Elections & Politics
The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) vote is sizable and bipartisan, and can be a swing vote in a close election.
Why It Matters:
Elected officials exercise enormous power over critical issues affecting LGBT people, including granting nondiscrimination protections and family recognition; allocating funding for health and human service needs; and appointing judges whose rulings could impact our community for generations to come. Elected officials need to know that LGBT people and allies comprise a voting bloc that won’t sit on the sidelines as their rights and lives are being trampled upon.
We must move forward with a multi issue agenda that mirrors our own lives. LGBT people come from every racial background, economic class, work in every field possible, and we’re members of unions, immigrants, and in need of decent health care just like everyone else. So until oppression ends for people of ALL colors, faiths, origins, ages, and abilities, our fight isn’t over. Stand with us as the progressive LGBT community and Queer the Vote in 2012!
What You Can Do:
- Sign the pledge
- Register to vote
- Get prepared to vote
- Get informed
- Know your rights
- Volunteer - for information on volunteering with campaigns this election season, e-mail Trystan Reese
- Support the Task Force
What We’re Doing:
- We’re on Capitol Hill, educating federal lawmakers on and advocating for legislation important to our community.
- We train local activists across the country how to run effective ballot measure campaigns.
- We provide extensive research and resources for media, activists, policymakers, opinion leaders and others seeking accurate election-related information - including our 2012 Voter Guide.
- We have a long history of breaking ground for our community. The Task Force was the first national LGBT advocacy organization working to build the grassroots power of the LGBT community, and we'll be celebrating our 40th anniversary in 2013.
- The Issues
- Get Involved
- Our Work
- Reports & Research
- Support Us
- About Us